The former municipality of Roxboro, one of the oldest in the area, was chartered in 1914. Roxboro was originally a summer vacationing place, and was later developed into a typical town. Roxboro is bordered on the north by Rivière-des-Prairies (Back River), and offers affordable housing in a pleasant environment, with many green spaces. Boulevard Gouin is its main artery. The Two-Mountains commuter train, recently upgraded, links the town to the centre of Montréal. Roxboro is well served by the regional main road network and by the Montréal public transit service, the STM. The new borough was created when the territory's boundary changes were made in 2004.
Young adults make up 28% of the population whereas 65-year-olds and over account for 11%.
There are 21,960 households on the territory and, on average, there are 2.7 individuals per dwelling. One-person households represent 23%.
69% of the population are homeowners while 31% are tenants.
40% of the residents speak French at home, 51% speak English, and 9% speak another language. 70% of the borough's population know both French and English.
The average household revenue is higher than the Montréal average. The resident's average revenue is $30,885 while the household income is estimated at $61,882; 16% live below the low-income mark.Because of its tranquillity and proximity to impressive green spaces, the East district has a particularly pleasant atmosphere. The presence of a number of important urban facilities and basic services, along with easy access (via Autoroute 13, the commuter train and Boulevard Gouin ) create a promising area for residential development. Public access to a great number of neighbourhood services along Boulevard Gouin, in the Roxboro sector and on Boulevard des Sources are among the area's many assets.
The Centre district is notable for its proximity and direct access to the West Island's "downtown" at the intersection of Autoroute 40 and Boulevard Saint-Jean. It is also home to most of the city's main facilities including the borough office, the cultural centre, a community centre, the arena, the Pierrefonds library and a fire station. While most dwellings are single-family houses, two-thirds of the borough's taller buildings (five or more storeys) are found in this district.
The West district exemplifies the evolution over the last 20 or 30 years. West of Boulevard Saint-Charles one can glimpse the pre-development face as well as its newer look. Neighbourhood parks, eco-territories, nature-parks and a community centre all contribute to an urban life-style. Neighbourhood services found along Boulevard de Pierrefonds, Boulevard Gouin and Boulevard Saint-Charles and Rue Antoine-Faucon cater to the needs of area residents.
This evolution in development over the past 60 years means there are a variety of homes on the market at a wide range of affordable prices. The average cost of a single-family dwelling is $235,000.This is a borough with many faces! The history of Pierrefonds goes back to the eighteenth century, and is intimately linked to that of Sainte-Geneviève, which was composed at the time of Pierrefonds, L'Île-Bizard, Sainte-Geneviève, Roxboro and Dollard-des-Ormeaux. In 1904, following several previous divisions, the Town of Sainte-Geneviève was split into two new villages: Sainte-Geneviève and Sainte-Geneviève de Pierrefonds. This was the first appearance of the name Pierrefonds. At the heart of the conflict leading to the separation was famous notary Joseph-Adolphe Chauret, who, in 1902, had a seigniorial residence built for himself reminiscent of the community of Pierrefonds in France's Department of Oise. He named his thatched home Château Pierrefonds, apparently providing the name for the future city. Curiously, in 1935, the two villages of Sainte-Geneviève and Sainte-Geneviève de Pierrefonds merged once again into a single village called Sainte-Geneviève. The name Pierrefonds disappeared, resurfacing on December 18, 1958, when the rest of the territory of the old parish became Pierrefonds.