By an edict of the King of France, the Civil Parish of St-Joachim de Pointe-Claire was established on March 3rd 1722 and came under the control of the Clergy on July 1st 1845. The Town of Kirkland was incorporated on March 24th 1961 and named after the Honorable Dr. Charles-Aimé Kirkland, local member of the National Assembly from 1939 until his death in 1961. In 1961, the character of the Town changed rapidly, the main reason being the construction of the Trans-Canada Highway.
Kirkland grew rapidly at the beginning of the seventies, and after a slowdown in 1976, resumed its normal growth in 1979. As of October 2005, our population was 21,735. The majority of citizens are young families, thus creating a very active and social community.