About 30 kilometers north of Montebello, the municipality is characterized by a relief ranging from 182 meters at Philisson Creek to 381 meters at the summit of Mont du Cimetière. Sparsely populated, inhabited areas are the hamlets of Brookdale and Boileau and also around the Maskinongé Bay and Loup, Champagneur, and Cross Lakes. Settlers were attracted to the area by the nature's beauty and resources. They were generally from Ireland and England, or the nearby villages of Calumet and Grenville. In 1881 the Boileau post office opened, named after the first postmaster, Pierre Boileau. In 1882, the Township Municipality of Ponsonby was established.
Because the village was better known as Boileau and Ponsonby was limited to purely administrative use, the municipal authorities, with the support of the majority of the population, were granted the official name change from Ponsonby to Boileau in 1993.
Total private dwellings, excluding seasonal cottages: 223 (total: 450)
Boileau municipality : 819-687-3436